This essential workshop is designed to demystify birth while guiding class participants to discover personal beliefs around pregnancy, partnership, birth, and parenthood, which will allow for a truly holistic childbirth experience. Our Holistic Childbirth Preparation Workshop allows women and their partners to step into birth and new parenthood as informed participants and protectors of their soon-to-be born child.
We will practice and review the following techniques and information:
• Love and Relaxation: Guided relaxation and the hormones of labor
• Moaning and Moving: Evidence based healthy birth practices, from vocalizations to opening the pelvic floor
• The Landscape of Labor: Understanding the emotional and physiological process of birthing your baby including the stages of labor, how to support spontaneous labor, and how to strengthen internal resources
• The Role of the Partner: how to create a bubble of intimacy and safety around the mama-to-be
*Open Heart, Open Ears: Partner Communication During Labor including non-verbal communication and positive affirmations
• Spinning Baby: The role of the baby, optimal fetal positioning, and troubleshooting through birth
• Being in Birth: Massage, Acupressure, Positions, and Breathing Technique
• Understanding interventions and identifying when they are necessary/unnecessary
• Watching, Hearing, Knowing: Empowered Birth Videos
• Advocacy and Collaboration: Positive Communication Skills with Providers
• Comprehensive After-Birth Care, including how choices during birth impact breastfeeding, your infant’s immune system, mother’s recovery and mental health, and hormonal balance
Each class is kept to seven couples or less, as this allows for individual and hands-on attention from the instructor while allowing for community building with other expanding families. We encourage moms and dads to bring meals, pillows, snacks and other items that will allow them to get comfortable and relax.
This one-day workshop includes an hour lunch break and lots of movement. Please wear clothing that allows for squatting and access to the lower back for massage practice.
This class is designed to meet the needs of families birthing at Thrive, in their homes, at the hospital, or those who haven’t decided yet. This class is relevant to parents having their first, second or third child, depending on the needs of the family.
Class/Workshop Fee: $300 per couple
-CORE OFFERING For Go Local Members: 10% Off for First Time Class Purchase With Your Go-Local membership card.
About Instructor Kelly Gray
Kelly Gray is a mother, educator and retired doula who lives in the redwoods with her fiery daughter, her artist partner and her white husky dog. She’s supported and empowered hundreds of families who were participants in her highly esteemed childbirth prep workshops or were doula clients birthing at home or hospital. Her focus on hormones, intimacy and building trust during birth sets her teaching apart from the standard birth class- participants leave feeling excited and confident about birthing their family. She was a community and union organizer working in healthcare and social justice for more than a decade, sits on the Board of Advisors and writes for SQUAT Birth Journal, and is currently the director of the perinatal education program at Thrive.